Whether it involves leading a team or working for yourself, working outdoors, in a laboratory, or in an urban setting, we make sure you are well-prepared for your chosen career. A degree from the Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture will provide you with a foundation for life-long success.
If you are an employer interested in posting an internship or job opportunity on our website, please fill out our Employment Opportunity Form.
|Landscape Design/Architecture Summer Internship||Christine Darnell Gardens - Lyme, CT||4/15/2023||3/20/2023|
|Experienced Greenhouse Grower||Logee's Plants for Home and Garden - Danielson, CT||3/22/2023|
|Residential Landscape Architect - Summer Employment||Resident of Somers, CT||End of May 2023||3/29/2023|
|Field Manager||White Flower Farm - Morris, CT||4/11/2023|
|Grower Assistant||Brierwood Nurseries, Inc.||5/9/2023|
Landscape Design/Architecture Summer Internship
- Location: Christine Darnell Gardens
- Deadline to apply: April 15th, 2023
- Posted: March 20th, 2023
Description: This Summer Internship provides the opportunity to work in collaborative setting, gain field work experience, and be exposed to facets of high-end residential landscape design. Along with this, the candidate will learn a great deal about planting design and putting plants together as well as exposure to interaction with clients and sub-contractors. Responsibilities of the intern position would include, but not be limited to, CAD drafting, field work, graphics, nursery trips and various other tasks. This is a paid internship program. Transportation is the candidate’s responsibility.
Qualifications: Strong written and verbal communication skills, Curiosity to learn about residential landscape design, Organized and detail-oriented, Outstanding design and presentation skills, Experience in AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Suite, Microsoft, Hand drawing skills and horticultural knowledge are an asset
Requirements for Application: Resume, Cover letter including a paragraph of goals and expectations of the internship program, Portfolio (please submit in PDF Form), Letter of recommendation from professor, This internship is open to second-year and beyond students
Contact: Please email the above to firstname.lastname@example.org with "2023 Internship" in the subject field.
Experienced Greenhouse Grower
- Location: Logee's Plants for Home and Garden - Danielson, CT
- Posted: March 22nd, 2023
Description: $18 per hour and up, depending on experience and qualifications. This is a rare opportunity to interview for a grower's position at Logee's. We seldom have growing positions open, but with our increased expansion, we are in need of an experienced grower. We specialize in tropical plants, fruits, cacti and succulents, begonias, and rare and unusual plants.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate needs professional growing/horticultural experience. Must be able to manage a department of plants, including: watering, scout for bugs, look for disease, be able to identify plants and be willing to pitch in to accomplish the task of growing quality plants in a team atmosphere. Must be able to lift 40 lbs and have an upbeat attitude and be good at details. We offer a competitive hourly wage, plant discounts and benefits after 90 days. Horticultural degree or 3 years’ experience a must. And a love for plants a necessity.
Equal Opportunity Employer Benefits: Dental insurance, Employee discount, Health insurance, Paid time off
Schedule: 8 hour shift, Day shift, Monday to Friday, Weekend availability
Contact: email email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS please.
Residential Landscape Architect - Summer Employment
- Location: Resident of Somers, CT
- Deadline to apply: End May 2023
- Posted: March 29
Description: Local resident seeking a Residential Landscape Architect. Existing Property: 2.9 acres. The majority of the property is wooded, with a stream on the east side of the home with a natural 12’ waterfall. Resident lost all Ash trees to the emerald ash borer and 90% of oak trees to the gypsy moth. The area has had early growth over the past 2 years. The existing home sits on State Route 190 and is an extremely high-traffic area. The resident is happy to provide more information/images/measurements.
Objective(s)/Description of Job:
- increase privacy, currently at 0.
- maximize noise reduction from vehicle traffic (18-wheelers travel the road on an hourly basis).
- prevent salt damage to the landscape, there is major salt use on road.
- Receive design options; Open to letting any students design as they please.
- Prefers “lower” maintenance plantings with seasonal changes as plant types end and another begins.
- Enjoy and appreciate various types of grass, fragrant flowering plants, etc.
- Design suggestions for creating a small sitting area for 2-4 people that blends nature with home.
- Design ideas for creating a space to enjoy the stream/waterfall area.
- Ensure the stream receives the cleanest water from run-off, ensuring silt is reduced and the stream keeps its gravel look, etc.
- Ensuring retaining walls are properly designed to industry standards. Aka, proper drainage, compaction behind walls, etc. Similar idea when using clay pavers. We are not using concrete pavers.
Pay: Resident is comfortable offering between $20.00-$35.00/hour. Note: expertise, experience, and professionalism is considered for a higher rate.
Who should apply: Anyone majoring in landscape design/landscape architecture. The resident prefers a student that’s completed 2 full years. If a student has previous work experience within the industry, a Freshman would be acceptable.
Contact: Please reach out to Lucas L. Cherry at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Location: White Flower Farm, Morris, CT
- Posted: 4/11/2023
White Flower Farm in Morris, Connecticut is seeking a full-time, salaried, benefitted, Field Manager. The Field Manager provides direction and oversight for the field growing, processing, cleaning, grading and bareroot storage operation, using their extensive horticultural knowledge and communication skills to lead a team in producing quality plants in a timely manner for the White Flower Farm customer.
- Location: Brierwood Nurseries, Inc. 85 Thomaston Rd., Morris, CT 06763
- Posted: 5/9/2023
We are a family operated farm producing ornamental crops in Morris, CT that seeks a grower assistant. The successful candidate will be trained on site.
Job Description: The candidate will assist in crop production including pesticide application, responsibilities will also include watering, fertilizing and pruning crops. The candidate will also assist in the cleaning, maintenance and repair of equipment, greenhouses, retail sales yard, outdoor production fields.
- The candidate must have reliable transportation.
- Have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to supervise seasonal employees
- Must be able to operate machinery including forklift, tractor, sprayers, pot filler etc.
Contact: Gloria Masopust, email: email@example.com, phone: (860) 567-4053